The best wine is the wine we drink with friends. Did you know Philadelphia had a week dedicated to wine? I mean come on, Wine, it’s like duct tape, it fixes everything. Philly Wine Week is expanding faster than ever and now features hundreds of special events in over 50+ restaurants and bars across the city. So whether you’re a red person, a white person, a bubbly person, or a blended person, you’ll find tastings, dinner parties, educational sessions, and all kinds of vino-filled opportunities waiting for you. We picked our top 5 hotspots and events that we are looking forward to March 22-29th - Saluti!
1) Amada on 217 Chestnut street will be taking wine and dine to a new level as they celebrate one of Spain’s unique regions each day with 'The Flavors of Spain'. As Chef Garces’ iconic first restaurant, the gorgeous rustic-chic atmosphere and bar embraces the rich traditions of Spain. We can expect only the best off-list pairings and regional tasting flights - all with happy hour specials. What puts Amada’s event on the top of our list is the capacious dining room that features a six-seat chef’s counter that overlooks a bustling open kitchen. Find more mouthwatering teasers on their social at @Amada.Philly
2) More of an Italian wine fan? Number 2 on our list is a Starr Restaurant in Society Hill that is celebrating the Isles of Italy during wine week. Pizzeria Stella on 2nd and Lombard’s Chef Shane Solomon will be inspiring antipasti to go with their regional flights of wine from around Sicily and Sardinia. Besides a guaranteed good time, there is probably nothing that pairs better with a glass of wine than a slice of pizza.
3) Get funky and sustainable in Fishtown at Fishtown Social’s What’s Old is New and learn about the wine making process. They’ll be featuring very “now” takes on classic styles from the “gold old days”. Their usual lists feature interesting regions, small producers and rare varietals which go hand in hand with this wine bar's focus on sustainable and organic winemaking processes. Fishtown Social has been described as having killer wine thats just as good as their staff and bright and airy bearings. Follow them on Instagram @fishtownsocial.
4) Looking to test your knowledge? How about blindfolded? With prizes? Back by popular demand in Rittenhouse, The Rittenhouse Hotel Library Bar, Bar210, and Lacroix is bringing back their expert team of sommeliers, who will be leading a blind mystery wine taste every evening of Philly Wine Week. After you take your sip be prepared to guess the correct wine. The first guest to do so correctly will take home said wine - the whole bottle! The Rittenhouse Hotel can’t wait to find the best palates in Philly. Follow along on their IG @the_rittenhouse to see the winners announced, maybe it will be you.
5) Finally if you are feeling PA proud you won’t want to miss Old City's High Street on Market’s Winery Underdog Series. Since we have been basking in the glow of our underdog Super Bowl champion eagles, High Street on market wants to remind you of another underdog: PA wineries. Frequently named inferior to other domestic wine regions like Cali or NY, this venue will be featuring blind tastings of PA wines versus other domestic regions and are letting you decide the winner, which, they will be posting on their IG daily at @highstphilly.
Gear up to celebrate at the opening Cork ceremony that will take place at the 23rd St Armory. Sold out in years past, you can grab your tickets and more information on Philly Wine Week events.