NEIGHBORHOODS

 

Old City

Old City, sometimes known as "Olde City", is the nation’s most historic square mile. The Old City District occupies several blocks between the Delaware River and Sixth Streets, bounded by Vine Street to the north and Walnut Street to the south.

Philadelphia’s most popular historic attractions — the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, the National Constitution Center and Betsy Ross House — and much more are all just minutes from each other. The area is also near the Pennsylvania Convention Center and several nationally renowned hospitals. For shopping, visit the 3rd Street Corridor from Chestnut Street to Vine to enjoy art, design and fashion hosted by the region's most exciting independently owned shops. It is one of the city's most popular nightlife destinations, with many lounges, bars, fine quality restaurants and three Ritz movie theaters specializing in art films.

During the popular monthly First Friday event, shops hold evening-hour open houses featuring art, design, and fashion. Penn's Landing is on the waterfront, where you'll find hotels, waterfront restaurants and the Great Plaza, the perfect place to take in a concert or to watch the fireworks.

The streets and most of the buildings are still of the original brick and stone. This vibrant old-world neighborhood’s housing stock is mostly comprised of rowhomes, many of which are Trinities, and converted loft condos.

Society Hill

Society Hill is a neighborhood in the Center City section of Philadelphia, loosely defined as bounded by Walnut, Lombard, Front and 7th Streets, contains the largest concentration of original 18th- and early 19th-century architecture of any place in the United States. Society Hill is noted as a charming district with cobblestone streets bordered by brick rowhouses in Federal and Georgian style.

The district is named after the 18th century Free Society of Traders, which had its offices at Front Street on the hill above Dock Creek. Located close to both the Delaware River and Philadelphia's civic buildings, including the Independence Hall, the neighborhood soon became one of the city's most populous areas.

Several market halls, taverns and churches were built alongside brick houses of Philadelphia's affluent citizens.

In 1957, Edmund Bacon, the executive director of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission, awarded developer-architect firm Webb and Knapp the competition for the redevelopment of Society Hill. Architect I. M. Pei and his team designed a plan for three 31-story Society Hill Towers and low-rise buildings.

The towers and townhouses project was completed in 1964, while the entire plan was completed in 1977.  Architect Louis Sauer designed dozens of rowhouse projects for the area around Society Hill, including Waverly Court and Penn's Landing Square.

Washington Square West

Washington Square West is a neighborhood in Center City which roughly corresponds to the area between 7th and Broad Streets and between Chestnut and South Streets, bordering on the Independence Mall tourist area directly northeast, Market East to the northwest, Old City and Society Hill to the East, Bella Vista directly south, Hawthorne to the southwest, and mid-town Philadelphia and Rittenhouse Square to the west.

The name "Washington Square West" came into official use in the late 1950s and early 1960s as part of Edmund Bacon's comprehensive plan for Center City. In addition to being a desirable residential community, it is considered a hip, trendy neighborhood that offers a diverse array of shops, restaurants, and coffee houses. The area takes its name from Washington Square, a historic urban park in the northeastern corner of the neighborhood.

Philadelphia's Antique Row lies in the area as does the nation's oldest hospital, Pennsylvania Hospital. Educational and medical facilities associated with, Thomas Jefferson University, a leading regional medical university and health care center, are located within the neighborhood. The one-time headquarters of the former Curtis Publishing Company and the University of the Arts lie at the edges of the neighborhood.  Washington West's real estate is mixed commercial, residential and service industries, characterized by two, three, and four-story rowhouses interspersed with condominiums, mid-rise apartments, hospitals and offices with ground-floor retail. The neighborhood follows William Penn's original grid layout for the city, with many one-lane and pedestrian side streets added later as the population became more dense. In addition to the block sized Washington Square Park to the East, the neighborhood contains the smaller Kahn Park, named after the Philadelphia architect Louis Kahn.

The area approximately bounded by Chestnut, Pine, Juniper and 11th Streets within Washington Square West is known affectionately as The Gayborhood. It is so-named because of its large concentration of gay and lesbian-friendly small businesses, services, restaurants, and bars. In April 2007, the city of Philadelphia officially recognized the area by adding 36 gay pride rainbow flag symbols to street signs bordering the Gayborhood area. 32 additional signs were added in June of 2010. Some have attempted to re-brand the neighborhood as "Midtown Village" but the name has been met with ambivalence by locals.

The Washington Square West Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The 61-acre area encompasses 450 contributing buildings. Located in the district and separately listed are the Clinton Street Historic District, Roberts-Quay House, and Portico Row.

Rittenhouse Square

Rittenhouse Square is one of the five original open-space parks planned by William Penn and his surveyor Thomas Holme during the late 17th century. The park cuts off 19th Street at Walnut Street and at a half block above Manning Street.  Its boundaries are 18th Street to the East, Walnut St. to the north,

Rittenhouse Square West (a north-south boundary street), and Rittenhouse Square South (an east-west boundary street), making the park approximately two short blocks on each side.

Today, the tree-filled park is surrounded by high rise residences, luxury apartments, an office tower, a few popular restaurants, high-end retail, and hotels, including a five-star. Its green grasses and dozens of benches are popular lunch-time destinations for residents and workers in Philadelphia's Center City neighborhood while its lion and goat statues are popular gathering spots for small children and their parents. Once predominantly a daytime destination,

Rittenhouse Square is now a popular nightspot as well, with a string of restaurants — including Rouge, Devon, Parc and Barclay Prime — that have sprouted up along the east side of the park on 18th Street.

Rittenhouse Square has always denoted luxurious living. The first house facing the Square was erected in 1840. During its next century the Square kept its residential quality. In 1913, the architect Paul Cret, who was one of the men responsible for Benjamin Franklin Parkway and many of its buildings, designed the Square's entrances, central plaza with the stone railings, pool and fountain. To have lived near or on the Square was a mark of prestige. Today, private homes are gone, but Rittenhouse Square is still arguably one of Philadelphia’s most prestigious addresses. There are several houses still standing, but most have been converted into apartments, co-ops and condos.

Filter Square

Fitler Square was named for late 19th century Philadelphia mayor Edwin Henry Fitler. The neighborhood surrounds the square park, bounded roughly by 21st Street on the east, the Schuylkill River on the west, Locust Street on the north, and South Street on the south. To the east of this neighborhood is the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood; to the west is the neighborhood of University City, to the south is Graduate Hospital.  Today the neighborhood is mostly residential and composed of single-family homes, and it is within a short walk of the commercial areas of Center City.

Residents gather in Fitler Square for annual events such as the Easter Egg Hunt, the Spring Fair, a Halloween party and a Christmas tree lighting and, from mid-May to early November, a bustling farmer’s market is great for mingling with friends or preparing for a festive meal. Homes, not exceeding four stories, are well-maintained and sit on tree-lined streets.

Historical residences include those of war journalist and novelist Richard Harding Davis, Joseph H. Horn, one of the founders of Horn and Hardart, and the home and then library/museum of the Rosenbach Brothers. Today, real estate opportunities range from the mid $300,000s for a two-bedroom, two-bath unit and upwards of $3 to $5 million for a four-bedroom, 5,000-plus-square-foot rowhome.

Graduate Hospital

Graduate Hospital is the neighborhood is bordered on the north by South Street, on the south by Washington Avenue, on the west by the Schuylkill River, and by Broad Street on the east. It is an area adjacent to the Fitler Square and Rittenhouse Square neighborhoods to the North and Point Breeze to the South. This neighborhood is known by many names—Southwest Center City, Graduate Hospital and South of South.

The neighborhood consists primarily of nineteenth and twentieth-century rowhomes interspersed with corner stores, 22 churches and a few larger architectural landmarks. The former buildings of Graduate Hospital lie on South Street, the northern border of the neighborhood. Along Grays Ferry Avenue is the former Philadelphia Naval Asylum or Navel Home, designed in 1826 by William Strickland. This National Historic Landmark first constructed in 1833, closed in 1976, now features high-end condos and townhomes.

In recent years the area has experienced growth. Hundreds of single family homes and condominium units have been built or refurbished. As a result of the neighborhood's proximity to Center City and increasing desirability, a variety of new businesses catering to the increasingly new population have opened. It is home to several community service organizations, many churches, a few retail establishments, and some light industry.  Residents enjoy coffee shops, gastropubs, a wine bar and fine restaurants.  Parking is relatively easy and many new homes have garages.

Queen Village-Bella Vista

Queen Village is a residential neighborhood that lies along the eastern edge of the city, immediately south of Center City. It shares boundaries with Society Hill to the north, Bella Vista to the west and Pennsport to the south. Historically, the area is part of old Southwark, Philadelphia’s first suburb which was incorporated into the city in 1856 and remains the city’s oldest residential neighborhood. Street boundaries are the south side of Lombard Street to the north side of Washington Avenue, Front Street to 6th Street, encompassing two principle commercial corridors, South Street and Fabric Row on 4th Street.

South Street’s busy commercial corridor has developed from a gritty punk gathering spot into the restaurant/club/retail pastiche that exists today. In 1972, the National Register of Historic Places designated Lombard to Catherine, 5th to Front Street with a bump-out from Front to Delaware between Catherine and Washington (where Old Swede’s Church is located) as a historic district.  Urban pioneers in the 70s and 80s have been joined by gentrifiers in extensive redevelopment, rehabilitation, and new construction throughout Queen Village, which was renamed after the Queen of Sweden to acknowledge the neighborhood's earliest inhabitants. Today, the South Street-Head House District represents upward of 300 cafes, restaurants, entertainment venues, and shops and Queen Village is home to some 7000 families whose median income and home values are among the highest in the city.

Bella Vista, Italian for "beautiful sight", immediately west of Queen Village, is a neighborhood in South Philadelphia bounded by 6th Street, 11th Street, South Street, and Washington Avenue.  Annual festivals in the neighborhood include the Italian Market Festival and Bella Vista Fiesta. Bella Vista was the first neighborhood settled by Italian immigrants in Philadelphia and still today is considered to have some of the best Italian restaurants in the city.  The Samuel S. Fleisher Art Memorial, Frances Ellen Watkins Harper House, and George W. Nebinger School are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Italian Market

Philadelphia’s Italian Market neighborhood overlaps Bella Vista and crosses over Washington Avenue south to Passyunk Square.  The neighborhood is made famous by the oldest and largest working outdoor market in the United States which features the best of many cultures and cuisines. Enjoy bakeries, cheese and spice shops and some of the best Italian restaurants in the city. It is also home to the 24 hour Philly cheesesteak meccas, Pat’s and Geno’s. The housing stock is mainly comprised of two and three story brick rowhomes and smaller trinities.

PASSYUNK SQUARE

Passyunk Square or East Passyunk Crossing is bounded by Washington Avenue to Tasker Street, Sixth to Broad Streets; Tasker to Snyder Avenue, Eighth to Broad Streets in South Philadelphia.

East Passyunk Avenue boasts some of South Philadelphia’s oldest and most authentic traditional Italian restaurants, cozy BYOBs, fun gastropubs and modern eclectic cuisine.  The Avenue is hopping with galleries, boutiques, specialty cheese shops, salons, vintage shops and an organic grocery store and bottle shop.

Enjoy the Avenue’s signature special events, like Flavors of the Avenue or Second Saturday, stroll the weekly farmer’s market and gourmet Italian and specialty shops.

Passyunk Square’s housing stock is comprised almost entirely of two and three story brick rowhomes.  Large brownstones dating back to the 1870s and ’80s dot main streets like Federal and Wharton. Trinities built as early as the 1880s line smaller streets and alleys. Most homes utilize street parking.

PENNSPORT

Pennsport is bound by Fourth Street to the Delaware River, Washington to Snyder Avenues. The Queen Village neighborhood is to the north and Whitman is to the south. Even though some homes date back to the 18th century, Pennsport was mostly developed during the Colonial period and is considered one of the oldest sections of South Philadelphia.

Jefferson Square Park, 3rd and Federal Streets, is an historic landmark. Originally constructed in early 19th century, it had star-like patterned walkways. During the Civil War, it was renamed Camp Jefferson and was deeded to the Union Army for use as an encampment site and parade grounds.  The neighborhood later became the city’s manufacturing sector. It now houses a host of retail centers including Pier 70 and Columbus Commons along Columbus Boulevard.

The first official Mummers’ Parade in 1901 brought something unique to the community. String bands joined marchers a year later. A century later, Mummer mania still grips the area and many of the clubs are headquartered in the area. The New Year’s Parade returned to South Broad, but the “Two Street” march never left.

The dominant façade in the neighborhood is red brick. Colonial- and Federal-style homes can be found and formstone finishes, popular in the 1950s and ’60s, remain on many properties. Experts believe some homes between Washington Avenue and Manton Street as well as a few on the 100 block of Alter Street date to the early 1700s, but their construction dates have not been confirmed.

LOWER MOYAMENSING

Lower Moyamensing, or “LoMo”, is a neighborhood in South Philadelphia bound by Snyder Avenue to north, Oregon Avenue to the south, South 8th Street to the east, and South Broad Street to the west Moyamensing Avenue crosses diagonally through the neighborhood’s boundaries from northeast to southwest. Although situated on the east side of Broad, the postal designation for Moyamensing Avenue, south of Snyder Avenue, is “West.” Since this is confusing, the designation “Lower” was chosen/

Moyamensing Township included ground turned over by the Dutch to the English and Wicaco, except such parts of the latter that were in Southwark. Its northern boundary was South Street and below the existing parts of Southwark; its eastern boundary was the Delaware River, and its western boundary was Schuylkill Sixth, now known as 17th Street.  In 1816, Moyamensing was estimated to be 3 miles by 2 miles over 2,560 acres. By act of March 24, 1812, its inhabitants were incorporated as “the township of Moyamensing.”

In April 4, 1831, the township was divided into East and West. It was one of the earliest created after the settlement of Pennsylvania, and became part of Philadelphia in 1854.  Moyamensing Prison was built between 1822-1835 at 10th and Reed streets. A portion of it also housed a Debtors Prison. The structure was demolished in 1967.

LoMo is famous for being home to singer Bobby Rydell and major landmarks include The Brush Factory, Epiphany of Our Lord Church, which was established in 1889 and Methodist Hospital on Broad and Wolf Streets.  The neighborhood is entirely residential with a smattering of corner stores, water ice stands and hoagie shops.  The housing stock is comprised of mostly two story brick rowhomes.

NEWBOLD-POINT BREEZE

Point Breeze is a neighborhood in South Philadelphia, generally bound by 25th Street to the west, Washington Avenue to the north, Broad Street to the east, and Mifflin Street to the south. Point Breeze is divided from Grays Ferry to the west by a CSX railway viaduct over 25th Street. 'Point Breeze' was originally the name given to a spot on the west side of the Schuylkill River. Point Breeze Avenue then became the road that cut southwest to provide access to the spot from what was at the time Philadelphia proper. The avenue cuts diagonally through the neighborhood's rectilinear street grid. The Point Breeze neighborhood suffered from abandonment and population decline throughout the mid 20th century.

Today it is a neighborhood under revitalization. Newbold is bounded by Washington Avenue to Wolf Street, Broad to 18th Streets.  Once part of Point Breeze, Newbold only recently separated. As a part of a revitalization effort made by business and home owners in the area, Newbold is now considered an “up and coming” neighborhood, housing some well known restaurants and businesses. The name was chosen by John Longacre, owner of the South Philly Taproom, to better distinguish the area from the ambiguousness of the rest of South Philly. The area continues to grow, attracting young professionals as well as new businesses that see the potential of the area.

Housing stock is exclusively comprised oftwo and three story brick rowhomes.  There are many new construction properties on what were once abandoned lots and green sustainable housing efforts entering the marketplace to fit the new demographic.

GIRARD ESTATE

Girard Estate is a neighborhood in South Philadelphia bounded by Passyunk to Oregon Avenues, 17th to 25th Streets. The Girard Estate historic district — the only one in South Philly — is roughly bounded by 17th to 22nd Streets, Porter to Shunk Streets and 21st to 22nd Streets, Passyunk to Shunk.

The area was established by the deed of Stephen Girard, a French merchant who landed in Philadelphia during the Revolutionary War. In 1797, he purchased a farm he named "The Places" at the southern end of Philadelphia County, an area known as Passyunk Township. The original farmhouse, along with the two later additions built by Girard, still stand today at 21st and Shunk streets. When he died in 1831, most of his $6-million estate was left to the City of Philadelphia. Girard’s will stated; however, the city must establish a college for poor boys in his name, and his house must not be sold. In response to the second stipulation, the Board of Recreation Tours of City Trusts developed Girard Estate, which initially were all rental homes, between 1907 and 1916. The planning of these homes was loosely based on the "Garden City" concept by Ebenezer Howard and were designed by the father-and-son team of James and John Windrim. Envisioned as a low density, semi-suburban setting with modest lawns and cottage-like twin houses, the Girard Estate homes reflect the popular styles of the early 20th century. In 1950, the city received permission to sell all 481 homes to private owners. Within two years, all were sold.

Outside of the Girard Estate historical district, two-story brick rowhomes built in late 1910s and ’20s are most prevalent. Within the district, architect James H. Windrim, along with son John, built semi-detached homes from 1906-16 in many styles, including bungalow, prairie, mission, Jacobean revival and Colonial revival. Homeowners must follow guidelines set by the Philadelphia Historical Commission to preserve the aesthetics of the homes and Girard Estate stands today as the architectural jewel of South Philadelphia.

Packer Park

Packer Park is a neighborhood in South Philadelphia that originally included 1,200 homes built in two unique builder developments of Packer Park 1950s and Brinton Estates 1990s. The approximate boundaries are Packer Avenue to the north, Hartranft Street to the south including FDR Park farther south, Broad Street to the east and I-76 to the far west.  To the immediate east is the South Philadelphia sports complex consisting of Citizens Bank Park, Lincoln Financial Field and the dining complex of Xfinity Live! The Packer Park urban townhouses distinguish themselves in South Philadelphia by departing from the Philadelphia grid of streets and blocks of dense rowhomes. This includes cul-de-sacs that were designed with a greater emphasis on a green park setting with common green spaces and accommodation for driveways and off street car parking.

Packer Avenue itself was named in honor of William Fisher Packer, a former governor of Pennsylvania.  In the 1920s, the US Navy built temporary housing on the site but later moved families to new housing west of Penrose Avenue. This opened up the site to the private development of Packer Park on what was reclaimed swampy land and preserving the vitality of the borders of Broad Street.  An expansive parkland was established in the late 1800s, originally named League Island Park and locally became known as the "Lakes", was designed by the famous architects Olmstead Brothers known for New York's Central Park. In 1948, it was renamed FDR Park and is comprised of 348 acres which include a 146-acre golf course, 125 acres of buildings, roadways, pathways for walking, landscaped architecture, and a variety of picnic and recreation areas placed within about 77 acres of natural land including ponds and lagoons.

Also referred to as the Sports Complex District, Marconi Park or Stella Marris, Packer Park East features a separate 1950s development of about 500 homes. This neighborhood is bordered by Broad Street on the west, the Delaware River to the east, Oregon Avenue to the north and the sports stadiums to the south and includes Marconi Park, a dense area of green space with mature trees and grass.

The Packer Park community name expanded again in 2003–2007. Adjacent to the original footprint sits a development known as the Reserves at Packer Park.  230 new luxury townhouses were built on the site by a private developer, John Westrum who styled these homes for families on a triangular land area to the west of 20th Street, north of Pattison, east of Penrose Avenue. The colonial styled architecture incorporated the green technology of environmentally adaptive re-use of existing piles and foundations, infrastructure, and materials previously built by the Navy. The existing street layout preserved green areas augmented with large back yards and open area pocket parks. The streets and cul-de-sacs were renamed to memorialize sections of Italy to reflect the Italian-American population.

Art Museum-Fairmount

The Art Museum neighborhood, often referred to as Fairmount, is an area generally associated with the area along the Ben Franklin Parkway from Eakins Oval/Fairmount Hill to  Logan Circle/Square. The area sometimes is extended northwest to include sites such as Boathouse Row and Eastern State Penitentiary, and southeast along the Parkway to Love Park and City Hall.  The broadest definition of the boundaries of the neighborhood place it roughly between Vine Street to the south, Girard Avenue to the north, the Schuylkill River to the west, and Broad Street to the east. This definition places the neighborhood in Lower North Philadelphia, encompassing the neighborhoods of Spring Garden, Franklintown, and Francisville. Some definitions also include the area of Girard College which lies north of Girard Avenue. Based upon the famous Champs-Élysées in Paris in its design and owing to its ability to hold vast amounts of people, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway is famous for its museums including the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Academy of Natural Sciences, the Rodin Museum, the Franklin Institute, the main branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia and the Barnes Foundation.  It is also where most of Philadelphia’s large outdoor events, parades, concerts, and races are held.

The name "Fairmount" itself derives from the prominent hill on which the Philadelphia Museum of Art now sits, and where William Penn originally intended to build his own manor house. Later, the name was applied to the street originally called Hickory Lane that runs from the foot of Fairmount hill through the heart of the neighborhood. Behind the Philadelphia Museum and along the Schuylkill River are the historic Fairmount Water Works and picturesque Boat House Row. These 10 boathouses and rowing clubs host several regattas each year. Kelly Drive parallels the river and winds through scenic Fairmount Park. Atop one of the bluffs overlooking the river is the historic Lemon Hill Mansion.

The neighborhood’s Fairmount Avenue contains many diverse restaurants, bars and shops. Fairmount Avenue is the dividing line between Fairmount and the Spring Garden neighborhoods. Spring Garden has many large houses built for the managers of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, other professionals, and brewery owners which date back to the 1840s. Green Street is particularly impressive and recalls the area’s past and proud industrial legacy. An old brewery with its many ancillary buildings has been painstakingly preserved and turned into fashionable condominiums. Of architectural note is Aspen Street’s “Centennial Block”.

LOFT DISTRICT

The Loft District is a neighborhood in Center City, bounded by Broad Street to the West, 8th street to the East, Arch Street to the South and Spring Garden Street to the North. The area bears many names: Callowhill, Chinatown North, West Poplar and Eraserhood, a nod to Eraserhead, the surreal, nightmarish 1977 head-scramble of a film by David Lynch, the acclaimed director of the some of the most influential films and television of the past 30 years: The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks. Lynch lived in the neighborhood for a time in the mid-’60s, and the area sparked the first flames creative vision. The Loft District was formerly home to large-scale manufacturing and other industries, of which an architectural history has been left in the form of grand old abandoned factories, some of which have been converted to condos.  The neighborhood is physically cut-off from its neighbor to the south, Chinatown, by the Vine Street Expressway. The former Reading Railroad train trestle, the Reading Viaduct, is a defining feature of the Loft District neighborhood. Neighborhood groups have proposed that the abandoned structure be maintained as a public park, much like Manhattan’s High Line. Recently developers have started to employ adaptive reuse projects, converting many abandoned warehouses into loft-style housing.

NORTHERN LIBERTIES

Northern Liberties is located north of Old City and is bordered by Girard Avenue to the north; Callowhill Street to the south; North 6th Street to the west; and the Delaware River to the east (from Callowhill Street to Laurel Street; from Laurel Street to Girard Avenue the eastern boundary is North Front Street). In recent years, Northern Liberties has become a major enclave of young professionals, students, artists, and design professionals. Large improvement and revitalization projects have also been undertaken recently, causing a large jump in property values. The neighborhood's proximity to Center City has made it one of the city's most desirable development districts, both for commercial and residential real estate. The Piazza at Schmidt’s features an 80,000 square foot, hand-paved Italian-style courtyard and 7-story glass luxury apartment and retail buildings and serves to anchor the neighborhood.  Northern Liberties contains two privately owned but public parks and is served by SEPTA's Market-Frankford El with stops at Spring Garden and Girard.

Like most Philadelphia neighborhoods, the housing stock is primarily made up of rowhouses, although new development in recent times has brought high-end apartment and condominium complexes.  Traditional rowhomes are mixed with modern and green architecture.

Fishtown

Fishtown is located immediately north of Northern Liberties, its borders are somewhat disputed today due to many factors, but are roughly defined by the triangle created by the Delaware River, Frankford Avenue, and York Street. Some newer residents expand the area to Lehigh Avenue, while some older residents shrink the area to Norris Street. It is served by the Market–Frankford Line rapid transit subway/elevated system.

The name "Fishtown" is derived from the area's former role as the center of the shad fishing industry on the Delaware River. In recent years Fishtown has experienced gentrification characterized by significant rises in housing prices and the opening of upscale art, entertainment, and dining establishments. An influx of artists and professionals has joined the ranks of the neighborhood’s working class long-time residents. Fishtown is dotted with eclectic restaurants, gastropubs, corner bars an urban garden co-op and Philadelphia’s only casino. Enjoy a coffee at Rocket Cat Café, lunch at the Memphis Tap Room and drinks at Johnny Brenda’s, Barcade or Stephen Starr’s Frankford Hall.  Take part in Fishtown’s special events like the Kinetic Sculpture Derby, Trenton Avenue Arts Festival or First Friday gallery openings. 

Fishtown’s housing stock is comprised mainly two and three story rowhomes but is fast becoming an area for green, sustainable modern architecture.

Port Richmond

Port Richmond is a neighborhood in the Northeast section of Philadelphia bordered by Bridesburg and Frankford to the northeast, Juniata to the north, Kensington to the west, and Fishtown to the south.  The neighborhood is bounded by the Frankford Creek. on the north, Lehigh Ave. on the south, I-95 and the Delaware River to the east, and the railroad along Trenton Avenue/Martha Street to the west. While some people dispute the western boundary of the neighborhood, stating either Aramingo Avenue or Front Street, general consensus among residents on either side of the railroad is that those east of it claim Port Richmond and those west of it claim Kensington.

Port Richmond is a residential neighborhood with a deep and proud cultural history encompassing several centuries.  During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Polish people settled on farms in Port Richmond. Today, there are a number of restaurants and stores in the area of Richmond Street and Allegheny Avenue that cater to the Polish-American community. The Krakus Market on Richmond Street offers a large selection of Polish and Eastern European foods, including a variety of kiebasy, Polish canned goods, Polish newspapers and various types of famous Polish pastries, such as Babka, Chrusciki and Paczki.

Philadelphia’s famous award-winning Polish American String Band which marches in the famous Mummers Parade down Broad Street on New Year’s Day, sometimes marches and struts through the neighborhood, as on Port Richmond’s Memorial Day celebration. Port Richmond is also historically noted for the trolley tracks that run down Richmond Street along the Delaware River.

East Falls

East Falls is a neighborhood in the Northwest section of Philadelphia, adjacent to Roxborough, Manayunk, and Germantown, and Fairmount Park. The neighborhood runs along a stretch of Ridge Avenue that is only a few miles long, along the banks of the Schuylkill River then extends northeast to Wissahickon Avenue.  It overlooks the multi-use recreational path of Fairmount Park along Kelly Drive, and is desirable for its central location, an easy commute to Center City, with easy access to several major roadways and public transportation. 

East Falls is best known as the childhood home of Grace Kelly, actress and Princess of Monaco, who grew up in a house at 3901 Henry Avenue. In addition, former U.S. Senator Arlen Specter, Jewish studies scholar Chaim Potok, Pennsylvania Governor and former Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell have homes in East Falls.  East Falls features two train stations, Philadelphia University, a number of bars and restaurants and hiking and biking paths along Kelly Drive. There is a thriving, diverse arts community setting up shop in Sherman Mills, a 19th century textile mill which houses the second largest group of artist studios in Philadelphia. Here you’ll find sculptors, painters, stained glass artists, warm glass artists potter and weavers. The housing stock in East Falls ranges from tightly packed rowhomes winding through hilly narrow streets to illustrious mansions.

Manayunk

East Falls is a neighborhood in the Northwest section of Philadelphia, adjacent to Roxborough, Manayunk, and Germantown, and Fairmount Park. The neighborhood runs along a stretch of Ridge Avenue that is only a few miles long, along the banks of the Schuylkill River then extends northeast to Wissahickon Avenue.  It overlooks the multi-use recreational path of Fairmount Park along Kelly Drive, and is desirable for its central location, an easy commute to Center City, with easy access to several major roadways and public transportation. 

East Falls is best known as the childhood home of Grace Kelly, actress and Princess of Monaco, who grew up in a house at 3901 Henry Avenue. In addition, former U.S. Senator Arlen Specter, Jewish studies scholar Chaim Potok, Pennsylvania Governor and former Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell have homes in East Falls.  East Falls features two train stations, Philadelphia University, a number of bars and restaurants and hiking and biking paths along Kelly Drive.

There is a thriving, diverse arts community setting up shop in Sherman Mills, a 19th century textile mill which houses the second largest group of artist studios in Philadelphia. Here you’ll find sculptors, painters, stained glass artists, warm glass artists potter and weavers. The housing stock in East Falls ranges from tightly packed rowhomes winding through hilly narrow streets to illustrious mansions.

Mt. Airy

Mount Airy is bounded on the northwest by the Cresheim Valley, which is part of Fairmount Park. Beyond this lies Chestnut Hill. On the west side is the Wissahickon Gorge, which is also part of Fairmount Park, beyond which lies Roxborough and Manayunk. Germantown borders the southeast of Mount Airy, and Stenton Avenue marks the northeast border.  It is accessible to Center City via Lincoln Drive and to Manayunk via Walnut Lane.  There are two train lines, the Chestnut Hill East and the Chestnut Hill West, making the neighborhood one of the most convenient in the city for commuters.

The area is recognized by many civil rights groups as one of the first successfully integrated neighborhoods in America. It continues to be a well-blended neighborhood and was recently cited in US News & World Reportand Oprah Winfrey's O magazine for its racial diversity and neighborhood appeal.  Mount

Airy's main commercial district lies along cobblestoned Germantown Avenue, which also serves as the boundary between East and West Mount Airy. The neighborhood has a variety of independent shops, restaurants, bookstores, art galleries, clothing stores, coffee shops, pubs and wine bars.  Mount Airy is also home to Weavers Way Co-op, a long-running co-op grocery store, and two local, tented farmers' markets.

Housing stock varies greatly. The homes are as individual as the families inside them.  Painted Victorians, brick rowhomes, glass ranchers and stone twins live in harmony.   Large three-story, gray-stone Victorian, colonial revival, and Norman and Cotswold-style houses and mansions, with stained glass windows and slate roofs, are situated on many of the area's tree-lined streets. They dominated districts like West Mount Airy's Pelham section (a Wendell and Smith development from 1890s), East Mount Airy's Gowen Avenue (the James Gowen Estate development from 1880s), Sedgwick Farms (an Ashton S. Tourison development from 1905), and Stenton (a Frank Mauran development from 1905) areas. 

Germantown

Germantown is a neighborhood in the northwest section of the city, rich in historic sites and buildings from the colonial era.  Germantown stretches for about two miles along Germantown Avenue northwest from Windrim and Roberts Avenues. The boundaries of Germantown borough at the time it was absorbed into the city of Philadelphia were Wissahickon Avenue, Roberts Avenue, Wister Street, Stenton Avenue and Washington Lane. Today, the next neighborhood to the northwest, Mount Airy, starts around Johnson Street, although there is no universally recognized exact boundary. Nicetown lies to the south and Logan, Ogontz, and West Oak Lane lie to the east.

The Germantown area of Philadelphia is one of Philadelphia's oldest settlements. It was originally settled by Mennonite and Quaker German speaking émigrés from Holland, Germany and Switzerland attracted to Philadelphia by William Penn's promises of religious tolerance.  In 1688, five years after its founding, Germantown became the birthplace of the anti-slavery movement in America. Pastorius, Gerret Hendericks, Derick Updegraeff and Abraham Updengraef gathered at Thones Kunders's house and wrote a two-page condemnation of slavery and sent it to the governing bodies of their Quaker church, the Society of Friends. When Philadelphia was occupied by the British during the American Revolutionary War, British units were housed in Germantown. It was the site of the the Battle of Germantown in 1777. During his presidency, George Washingtown and his family lodged at the Deshler-Morris House in Germantown to escape the city and the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The first bank of the United States was also located here during his administration.

Some other notable attractions include the Awbury Arboretum, the Germantwon Cricket Club, Cliveden, Grumbelthorpe, Johnson House, Rittenhousetown, Stenton, Upsala and the Wyck House.  Germantown is lively and diverse, with people of many backgrounds, races, and income levels. It has a long history and a strong sense of community and still retains its cobblestone streets. Housing stock ranges greatly, from Colonial single family, to row to stately mansions.

Chestnut Hill

Chestnut Hill is bounded on the northwest by Northwestern Avenue; on the west by the Wissahickon Gorge (part of Fairmount Park) (beyond which lie Upper Roxborough and Andorra); on the northeast by Stenton Avenue (a county line and city limit, beyond which lie Erdenheim and Wyndmoor, Springfield Township); and on the southeast by the Cresheim Valley (part of Fairmount Park) (beyond which lies Mount Airy).

The village of Chestnut Hill was part of the German Township laid out by Francis Daniel Pastorius and came to include the settlements originally known as Sommerhausen and Crefeld, as well as part of Cresheim. It served as a gateway between Philadelphia and the nearby farmlands. During the American Revolutionary War era (late 18th century), the area was one of many summer vacation spots due to its higher elevation, 400–500 feet (120 to 150 m) above sea level, and cooler temperatures than the historic Center City. Chestnut Hill is still stereotypically known as one of the more affluent sections of Philadelphia.

From the mid-19th century through the mid-20th, the neighborhood served as the functional equivalent of both a "railroad suburb" and a "streetcar suburb" of Center City; although it was part of Philadelphia, and not a suburb, it was a leafy outlying part functioning much like a commuter town. (It still serves this function, although the streetcars are gone.) The neighborhood contains a wide variety of 19th and early 20th century residential buildings by many of the most prominent Philadelphia architects.

Today, designated as a National Historic District, the community includes an extraordinary mix of impressive stone mansions, 19th century farmhouses, and more modest rowhomes. Charming shops and a multitude of cultural resources abound. Local attractions include the Water Tower, Stagecrafters, Valley Green, the Woodmere Art Gallery, or any of some 20 delightful restaurants clustered along Germantown Avenue.

University City

University City is a contested name for the easternmost region of West Philadelphia. University City's boundaries, as defined by the non-profit University City District organization, are the Schuylkill River to the east, Spring Garden Street, Powelton Avenue, and Market Street to the north, 52nd Street to the west, and Woodland Avenue, University Avenue, and Civic Center Boulevard to the south.  Within these boundaries are the local neighborhoods of Cedar Park, Garden Court, Spruce Hill, Squirrel Hill, Powelton Village, Walnut Hill, and Woodland Terrace. The boundaries also encompass several historic districts and the ZIP codes 19104, 19139, and 19143.

The University of Pennsylvania has long been the dominant institution in the area and was instrumental in coining the name University City as part of a 1950s urban-renewal effort.  Today, Drexel University and the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia also call University City home. The eastern side of University City is home to the Penn and Drexel campuses, several medical institutions, independent centers of scientific research, 30th Street Station, and the Cira Centre. The western side contains Victorian and early 20th-century housing stock and is primarily residential.

Main Line

The Main Line is an unofficial historical region of suburban Philadelphia comprising a collection of affluent towns built along the old Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad.  The railroad runs northwest from downtown Philadelphia parallel to Lancaster Avenue (US Route 30), a road originally built in 1792 as part of the Philadelphia and Lancaster Turnpike and designated as a portion of the "Lincoln Highway” when that transcontinental highway system was established in 1913. The rail line, from which the area affectionately got its name, was central to creating the Main Line communities which in the 19th and 20th centuries became home to many sprawling country estates built by Philadelphia's wealthiest families. As a result, the Main Line saw rapid investment, prosperity, and growth, becoming greater Philadelphia's most affluent and fashionable region. The gracious estates with sweeping lawns and towering maples, the debutante balls and the Merion Cricket Club, which drew crowds of 25,000 spectators to its matches in the early 1900s, were the perfect setting for the classic 1940 Hepburn/Grant/Stewart motion picture The Philadelphia Story.

The Main Line is home to some of the wealthiest places in the United States, such as Gladwyne, which has the 14th highest per-capita income in the country with a population of 1,000 or more. The eastern section of Villanova was also ranked 39th in The Elite 100 Highest Income Neighborhoods in America with a median household income of $366,904. Many renowned colleges are located on the Main Line, including Cabrini College, Bryn Mawr College, Haverford College, Immaculata University, Eastern University, Villanova University, and Saint Joseph's University. In addition, the Main Line hosts some of the most famous and exclusive private schools in the United States.

The Main Line railroad stations include Overbrook, Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Villanova, Radnor, St. Davids, Wayne, Strafford, Devon, Berwyn, Daylesford, and Paoli and now extends to Malvern, Exton, Whitford, Downingtown, and Thorndale.